Mushrooms and Sweet Onion Steak Sandwich
- Serves: 4
- 3 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 200g sliced swiss brown or white cup mushrooms
- 1 tbs honey
- 4-minute steaks
- 1 loaf Turkish bread, cut into squares
- olive oil cooking spray
- whole egg mayonnaise or aioli
- 50g snow pea sprouts
- Place the onions in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave for 2-3 minutes on High/100% until tender. Spoon 2 tsp oil over the mushrooms. Preheat barbecue plate and barbecue grill on high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook 4-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a bowl, set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Combine 2 tbs oil, hot onions and honey and spoon onto the barbecue plate. Cook, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes or until onions are golden. Stir into mushrooms.
- Season steak with salt and pepper and brush both sides with remaining oil. Barbecue the steaks for 1 minute on each side for medium or until cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile split the Turkish bread in half and spray both sides with oil. Barbecue on grill for 2-3 minutes each side or until toasted.
- Spread toasted bread base with mayonnaise or aioli. Top with snow peas, steak and mushroom & onion mixture. Top with remaining bread.