LUKE HINES @lukehinesonline
Dropping a bombshell like this doesn’t come lightly. Yep, I said it, blow up your next meal, heck every next meal, and take your health to the next level with Mush-Boom mushrooms!
There’s a whole bunch of reasons why mushrooms need to be in your trolley at every shop. Let’s start with the most important one.
That mushroom taste, texture and flavour… Boom!
First off, they TASTE amazing. And let’s be honest, when it comes to food it’s ALL about the taste. And if you’re one of those coriander cursing, decaf drinking, mushroom hatin’ mofos, you’re clearly not doing mushrooms right. And you CLEARLY haven’t tried my Mushroom nuggets, but we will get to those shortly.
Ya see, the thing with mushrooms, it’s not how big they are, it’s how you use them. So be brave, add herbs, add spice, add texture, add crunch. Like anything in life, if it’s not enjoyable, you’re not going to look forward to doing it, or in this case, eating it.
First off, they TASTE amazing. And let’s be honest, when it comes to food it’s ALL about the taste. And if you’re one of those coriander cursing, decaf drinking, mushroom hatin’ mofos, you’re clearly not doing mushrooms right. And you CLEARLY haven’t tried my Mushroom nuggets, but we will get to those shortly. Ya see, the thing with mushrooms, it’s not how big they are, it’s how you use them. So be brave, add herbs, add spice, add texture, add crunch. Like anything in life, if it’s not enjoyable, you’re not going to look forward to doing it, or in this case, eating it.
Experiment with mushrooms until you find the ultimate flavour combination that will have you sliding into their DMs and coming back for more (yes, mushrooms are on Instagram now).LUKE HINES @lukehinesonline
Fact: mushrooms are good for you
As a cook, flavour is obviously king, but it would be remiss of me not to put my Functional Nutritionist hat on for a second *puts hat on* and talk about the incredible health benefits of mushies. Put frankly, we are what we eat, and mushrooms are unlike anything else we eat, meaning they’re even more important than ever to get into our meals. Mushrooms contain such a unique blend of vitamins, minerals and good bacteria that they almost deserve to be their own food group.
Here’s my favourite stand-out nutritional benefits of mushrooms to whet your palate:
- Antioxidants: Aunty who?! Antioxidants fight against free radical damage and environmental stress, which can lead to aging. So put the Botox down and eat a mushroom.
- B Vitamins: These are actually some of my favourite vitamins because they are responsible for promoting epic heart health, optimal digestion and supporting your nervous system.
- Potassium: Ya know how everyone harps on about bananas being the queens of potassium? Well move over B1 and B2 because 2/3 cup of cooked Portobellos has as much potassium as a medium banana, which helps support muscle and nerve function.
- Good Bacteria: yes, let’s leave the bad bacteria for that kitchen dish cloth that really needs a good wash, and focus on the good bacteria in mushrooms. These beneficial bacteria support a healthy gut microbiome, which is responsible for supporting overall health, in particular our immune system.
Other healthy mushroom recipes to try:
- Mediterranean poke bowl with marinated button mushrooms https://mushboom.com.au/recipes/mediterranean-poke-bowl-with-mushrooms/
- Soba noodle salad with teriyaki mushrooms https://mushboom.com.au/recipes/soba-noodle-salad-with-teriyaki-mushrooms/
- Mushroom and potato pizza https://mushboom.com.au/recipes/mushroom-and-potato-pizza/
“If these mighty mushroom stats don’t convince you to make mushrooms a part of your every day, the fact that they are ‘Versatile AF’ (AF stand for As Fungi!), should be reason enough!”LUKE HINES @lukehinesonline
Mushroom Newbies 101
Mushrooms make an incredible addition to every meal of the day; think mushrooms on toast for breakfast, grilled mushroom salad for lunch, or mushroom steaks for dinner.
If you’re only just new to all this and dipping your toe into the water with mushrooms, the perfect way to get started is by utilising them as part of Meat Free Monday each week. Maybe it’s using mushroom mince instead of beef mince and making some epic tacos or nachos. They make the ultimate meat replacement due to their incredible texture and taste, which brings me to my favourite way to enjoy mushrooms…
This recipe will convince even the toughest mushroom critic, and get the whole family over the line. They’re golden brown, crunchy, crispy, light and delicious. Bring these out at your next summer gathering and everyone will think you’re a really Fun-gi… I mean, FUN GUY!
Mushroom nuggets with barbecue sauce
100 g (1 cup) almond meal
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
750 ml (3 cups) coconut cream
120 g (1 cup) arrowroot or tapioca flour
400g loose cup or brown mushrooms, whole
Coconut, avocado or macadamia oil or oil spray, for coating
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Easy barbecue sauce
3 tablespoons hulled tahini
75 g tomato paste
1 teaspoon maple syrup
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
11⁄2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
11⁄2 teaspoons molasses
3 drops liquid smoke, or to taste, optional
sea salt, to taste
1⁄2 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
3 tablespoons filtered water, plus extra if needed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Mix the almond meal, chilli powder, garlic powder, paprika and ground spices in a large bowl. In a separate large bowl, mix together the coconut cream and arrowroot or tapioca flour to make a thick batter. In batches, dunk the mushrooms in the coconut cream batter to coat evenly, then toss it in the almond meal mixture. Transfer to a prepared tray and repeat with the rest of the florets.
- When all the mushies are ready, drizzle or give them a gentle spray with oil. Bake for 25–30 minutes, turning halfway and drizzling or re-spraying with oil if you wish, until golden brown and crisp.
- Meanwhile, for the barbecue sauce, blitz together all the ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender until really smooth. If the sauce is a little thick, add an extra splash of water.
- Remove the crispy mushroom nuggets from the oven and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with barbecue sauce.
Feeling inspired to try mushrooms? Share your Mush-Boom dish on social media!
Find Mush-Boom on: