French Onion Mushroom Cob
Prep: 15 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins | Serves: 12
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 200g swiss brown mushrooms, diced;
- or 200g white mushrooms, diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 375g cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- ½ cup grated tasty cheese
- 40g packet French onion soup mix
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives, plus extra to serve
- 450g white cob loaf
- Vegetable sticks, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushroom and onion. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until golden and liquid has evaporated.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons mushroom mixture. Combine remaining mushroom mixture in a large bowl with cream cheese, mayonnaise, tasty cheese, soup mix and chives. Season with pepper.
- Use a serrated knife to cut 4cm from top of cob loaf and reserve. Remove bread from centre of loaf, leaving a 2cm-thick shell. Tear bread pieces into 3cm pieces. Spoon mushroom mixture into shell. Sprinkle with reserved mushroom mixture. Top with lid. Place on prepared tray. Arrange bread pieces around cob. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with extra chives. Serve with vegetable sticks.