Mushroom Haloumi Burger by Leah Itsines
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 1
- 1 Large Portobello or Flat Mushroom
- 1 Ciabatta roll (or burger bun of your choice!)
- ½ brown onion, sliced thinly
- 2 lettuce leaves, chopped roughly
- 2 tomato slices, sliced thinly
- ¼ teaspoon of chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon of chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Sprinkle of Salt & pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon of Basil Pesto
- 60g Haloumi, sliced thinly
- Cut the stem of the mushroom and brush any excess soil with a damp cloth.
- Into a small bowl, add olive oil, parsley, chilli flakes and a small pinch of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Using a basting brush, brush olive oil mixture all over the mushroom, make sure it’s all covered!
- On a small non-stick pan, heat over a medium heat. Cook mushroom for 4-6 minutes on each side, covering it with a lid to steam.
- Whilst this is cooking, on another small non-stick pan, splash a small amount of olive oil and heat on high. Add onions into the pan with a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes (or until cooked to your liking!)
- Take onion out of the pan and add haloumi. Cook until lightly golden brown on each side.
- Toast the bread under the grill for 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted.
- In a small bowl, add pesto and mayonnaise into a bowl and mix.
- It’s time to STACK! On the bottom of the burger bun, smear mayonnaise mixture edge to edge. Add mushroom, onions, haloumi, tomato and lettuce leaves.
Eat as soon as its ready!